ganked from facebook, titled as a Bucket List survey. i guess i've done a few things...
Fired a Gun = X
Gone on a blind date = (i'm pretty sure no?)
Skipped school = X
Been skinny dipping = X
Gave or Watched someone give birth =
Watched someone die =
Been to Canada = X
Been to Hawaii = X
Been to Europe = x
Been to Las Vegas = X
Been to Washington DC = X
Been to Asia = X (only SE)
Been to Africa = (not yet!)
Been to Florida = X
Been to Mexico = X
Been to Australia = X
Seen the Grand Canyon in person = X
Flown in a Helicopter = X
Been on a cruise = X
Served on a jury = X
Been in a movie = (not a movie, but i acted in a psa against teen drinking. i got to play the bad girl who brought "john" daniels to the party.)
Been to Los Angeles County = X
Been to New York City = X
Played in a band = X
Sang karaoke = X
Swam in the ocean = X
Made prank phone calls = X
Laughed so much you cried = X
Caught a snowflake on your tongue = X
Had children =
Had a pet = X
Been downhill skiing = X
Been water skiing =
Been tent camping = X
Rode on a motorcycle = X
Jumped out of a plane = X
Been to a drive-in movie = (this actually IS on my bucket list.)
Rode an elephant = X
Been on TV = (don't think so, but i might have shown up in a news report)
Been in the Newspaper = X
Stayed in A Hospital = X
Donated blood = X
Eaten snails = (not sure, i might have tried them?)
Gotten a piercing = X
Gotten a tattoo = X
Driven a stick shift car = X
Been Married = X
Fell in love = X
Driven over 100 mph = X
Been scuba diving = X
Lived on your own = X
Rode in the back of a police car =
lj seems to have done away with custom filters. :(
having failed to find a comfortable bra that actually fits me in my last attempt, i tried to buy more of the cheap fruit of the loom bra that mostly fits okay, though they didn't offer large cups in less than a 38 band. and of course it's now discontinued. wtf?!
stupid time change is depriving me of precious daylight, and the drier air is making my skin itchier and my sinuses congestier. however, it's still t-shirt weather, and the rain has yet to show up, so i'm still enjoying my lunch hour outside in the sun. november and february are normally the rainiest months of the year here...
i seem to have reached an impasse in my quest for bras that fit. i was hoping to find something on zappos, what with free back and forth shipping, but the two bras i was very hopeful about have disappointed me. 36G fits well in the cup, but the band is on the tightest hooks and would be too loose in no time, and you know, you kinda want a $50 bra to last a while. alas, the 34H is too small, and there is no 34HH. :( (mind you, according to measurements i should be a 38...) pretty much all the other bras i tried on go too far up into my armpits, because apparently my torso isn't long enough. grr! i wonder how hard it would be to add more hooks to a bra...
- last week i was on the mend, but i guess i had too much fun, and over the weekend i got sicker again. :(
- i'm feeling better now, but still made mostly of pseudoephedrine and guaifenesin.
- haven't had any night sweats since splitting the stimulant meds and taking the bupropion earlier, yay.
- still sleeping like crap though, with the waking up every 2 hrs to hack on the phlegm in order not to suffocate...
- won't take any more blood readings until i'm totally well and done with the cold meds.
- tomorrow is the coyote hills race i was originally planning to do the 10k for. i think i'm well enough to go stroll the 5k, but we'll see in the morning.
- i've been doing _zero_ physical activity for the past month, not even stretching. must rectify asap. i should at least be stretching, even if i feel like utter crap.
oh hey, i'm dumb and totally forgot that i've also been taking pseudoephedrine at night to deal with the stupid phlegm factory in my sinuses. so yeah, multiple stimulants before bed could certainly explain high fasting glucose. ooh, i wonder if i'm actually going hypoglycemic at night, because i've been waking with night sweats. could be explained by drug induced insulin spike causing glucose crash with rebound (Somogyi effect)... i must learn more about insulin and glucose metabolism. most of the literature is related to diabetes, and i don't know how it might apply differently to someone who generally has just high normal glucose with possibly some insulin resistance. so far everything i know is from gary taubes' books and the art and science of low carbohydrate living.
just now i got a reading of 99 at about 2 hrs postprandial.
so after getting a 97 reading the other before dinner, this morning i took a fasting reading and got 116, which was unexpected and higher than any report i've had before. so now i'm researching what can affect glucose levels.
apparently noradrenergic drugs can increase glucose levels, while serotonergic drugs can decrease them, so that's interesting. having recently starting augmenting my ssri with bupropion, that could be having an effect on my glucose regulation. also, the body secretes stimulating hormones before waking up so that there will be energy available first thing, and some people experience a "dawn phenomenon" in which this is exaggerated. i'd never thought before about stimulants having an effect on glucose, but it certainly makes sense!
also, carb restriction will increase insulin resistance in muscles and liver in order to spare glycogen for the brain. however, maintaining nutritional ketosis should supposedly normalize insulin levels and promote insulin sensitivity.
a combination or any of morning hormones, just this week adding a bedtime dose of bupropion, and just now entering ketosis could be a likely culprit for high fasting glucose. i'm interested now in doing a full day of testing, and we'll see if there is improvement after maintaining ketosis for a while.
- was extremely lazy over vacation.
- got sick right after new years, currently dealing with residual phlegm, yay --> still being extremely lazy.
- despite not doing anything to aggravate it for 3 wks, my hip isn't happy yet.
- will go back to PT next week.
- not happy that at this rate, i won't be able to run any distance in the coyote hills race at all. i will have to gently amble.
- joined a group of stargaze friends in a biggest loser competition that started on monday.
- started logging food again today.
- current daily nutritional goals: <50g of carbs, ~100g protein, 1600-1800 calories.
- i'm finding that it's not hard to get enough protein, and i can keep the carbs down reasonably well, but it's a challenge to get enough fat, even putting butter and heavy cream in everything. this is where bacon would come in handy i guess... must expand fat sources.
- bought a glucose/ketone meter because as mentioned before, i'm not only interested in getting into ketosis, but i'm concerned about my glucose levels as well.
- worked out how to use the meter tonight, before dinner, and glucose was at 97, so not great, but not bad i guess for only a few hours fasting? ketones were actually at 0.4, which is almost into ketosis territory, and i haven't been watching the carbs too closely lately, so that seems within reach.
- and as usual, have lots of stuff i really should've done months and months ago that i'm still procrastinating...